Image Map

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Update from Sean (husband)

Day 3 -here we come.

Where do I start.

Give Thanks.

Thank you God. Thank you Jesus divine physician. Thank you Mary.

 I am incredibly thankful to all of the hardworking doctors and nurses that have helped us. We are also thankful to all of our family and friends for their prayers, visits, flowers, food, and support.

Update from 12-11  to 12-12

Surgical day 1 (Tuesday 5:45am)  Jenesa is by far the most beautiful patient here. She can rock a hospital gown! It's surreal to wake up here and realize this is not a nightmare. I had to pinch myself this morning. That pinch was a sign of things to come. 

They call this "surgical day 1." It was a long night. Jenesa did not sleep. The anasthesia is begging to wear off and that is bringing a whole new level of discomfort. I fell asleep at 4am. For anyone that has ever had to spend the night with a loved on at the hospital you know how I am feeing. If you haven't enjoyed the pleasure of a fold out chair, it's a lot like taking the cushions off your couch and making a bed with them on the floor. I am thankful to be here next to my love. There are a lot of other patients who haven't had visitors. 
Our Dr. G. came in to check the sutures, and to give us an update, he said that the tube (NG tube) could come out when her stomach 'wakes up.' The NG tube is causing her the most discomfort so we all want it out. We wake her stomach up by walking and getting out of bed onto the chair. So our goal is to get up and move.
Turns out the goal was easier to talk about and harder to do. When the nurse started to get her up, she was in a lot of pain. I had to leave the room, (was asked to leave) because I couldn't stand seeing her hurting. Kids if you read this one day I want you to know that you have a strong mother. Nothing was going to keep her from reaching her goal of getting to walk and getting the NG tube out. As I stood in the hallway, a very tiny Jenesa walked by. One loop, two loops, three loops around the floor. Amazing! I didn't hear one complaint but I could see in her eyes how much it hurt. After that she took a short break in the chair and then requested that she get help to take another walk. This time she did four loops. Remember she hasn't had ANY food for four days.
The last reportable event was they removed her epidural and she is now officially on pain meds. This is good and bad. Good because they can now take her catheter out. She has to be able to go to the bathroom before she can go home. Having the catheter out gets us closer to home. Bad because she doesn't like the side effects to the new pain meds.
We had our first non family visitors today. The Hutchisons and the Wrights. We also received a lot of flowers. Our tiny room looks and smells like a flower shop. The texts, calls, flowers, emails, visits, prayers are all helping build her spirits. 
The doctors came in for a visit before they went home. Dr. Hodul was confident that her NG tube could come out tomorrow. Great news.

Surgical day 2 (Wednesday 5:12am)

I got up to use the bathroom. My reflection scared me. I desparetly need a good shave and shower. Probably a few hours of sleep too. Jenesa on the other hand has perfect hair, skin, and without the tube in her nose looks great. I am not sure where she is finding this strength, she was up all night trying to deal with her pain, the NG tube, and my snoring. I don't know how I am going to do it but I 
may have to let her mom stay tonight. 
Dr. G and Dr. Hodul came by early. Do they ever sleep? They discovered that her NG tube was not draining properly and when they fixed it, they let us know that it would have to stay in another day :( Jenesa is determined to get the tube out. She is asking and begging to get out of bed and to walk. This place is soo busy that no one is available to help her. 
Everyone has been so nice. I just can't believe how busy this place is. It reminds me of JFK airport Thanksgiving weekend. There can't be this many cancer cases without some environmental cause. Is the human body that frail? I am not going to be taking that chance anymore. Dr. Kevin Elko said, "there are things you can control and things you can't control."I may not be able to control getting cancer but if I can reduce my chance of getting it then that it worth doing. I for one am going to control what goes in my body. If you say it can't happen to you, please understand every patient here 
told themselves that same thing. 
Enough digression. Jenesa is up and walking. I will write more later. SW
The 

0 comments :

Post a Comment