Image Map

Friday, February 15, 2013

Has the rollar coaster ended?

I've got some pretty interesting news.  I finally spoke to Heather. She is the physicians assistant that works with Dr. Bartlett.  After our initial conversation (when she told me she thought I would be a watch and wait) I sent her my complete medical file for she and Dr. Bartlett to review.  Then the whole mix up with the USPS happened, which delayed the process a bit.  However, last night Heather called me because she knew I was waiting and she was heading out of town for a week and she wanted to let me know their opinion had changed.

In my very first post, I shared Dr. Hodul's original opinion of "maybe there really was only this huge carcinoid in my appendix that blocked the opening and then caused a build up in my appendix which caused a small rupture and mucus to leak out.

Well, not only did Dr. Bartlett and Heather review my case but so did their entire tumor board (which is at a surgical oncology center that happens to specialize in PMP)  They feel certain that I do not have PMP.  That I do not need anymore surgeries.  That I definitely needed the right hemicolectomy but agree it was probably curative.  Dr. Bartlett thinks that the "mucinous neoplasm" was actually just an old build up of mucus that had no where to go.  *Everyone's appendix produces mucus*  That once my appendix ruptured (which again doesn't necessarily mean exploded, just a tiny tear = ruptured) the mucus/mucin that is naturally produced started to spill into my abdominal cavity.  They said this is why it is acellular.  That it is similar to what is found in a person who had an infected appendix that ruptured with no cancer.

Woah! Serisouly?  There's a chance that I don't have this stupid, one in a milion, horrific, devastating cancer? In Dr. Bartlett's eyes I do not.

So I really did receive 3 very different opinions.  4 if you include Dr. Hodul.
1. Dr. Hodul- go live your life. There's a chance this may never change.
2. Dr. Bartlett- you only had a carcinoid.  No true mucinous tumor.  Monitor for carcinoid purposes only.
3. Dr. Sardi- Carcinoid was treated correctly but you do need HIPEC to treat the pmp.
4. Dr. Sugarbaker- unimpressive and no need for HIPEC.  Watch and wait and monitor closely.

Guess which one I am putting at the top of my "I think I'll believe this opinion" list.
2. Dr. Bartlett- you only had a carcinoid.  No true mucinous tumor!!!!!!

That's actually a teeny bit scary to do because the thought of what if Dr. B is wrong circles through my mind.  I am absolutely not going to take Dr. Sardi's advice.  No more surgery for this girl unless it is clearly needed.  So I will take Dr. Sugarbaker's and Dr. Bartlett and Dr. Hodul's advice.  I'm going to live my life, get the necessary scans and bloodwork and pray that Dr. Bartlett is correct and that I am a cancer free, incredibly grateful chick!

How 'bout them apples!!!




0 comments :

Post a Comment